Friday, March 15, 2013

812 Things that are more important than sleep

It has been too long since my last adventure.  I've had my outings, my moments - but it's been nigh on 3 months since I've last done something utterly foolish and irresponsible and certainly not fit for a work night.  I believe I may be getting the itch again - the itch to shake things up a bit.  Maybe climb a mountain or jump out of another plane.  Maybe stay out all night and spend way too much on scotch.  Perhaps I'll let myself even start feeling feelings again, just for the thrill of the ride before they get shattered.

As anyone that's ever been graced with sharing my bed can tell you, I am not much of a sleeper.  There are so many things more important than sleep, and I'm not just talking about a sexy rumpus or anxious insomnia.  There are the moments you share - staying up all night exchanging movie quotes with a friend, reading one another poetry, whispering secret details of ones' childhood.  But then there are the stolen moments, the synchronization of breathing, the listening to one anothers' heartbeats, the excruciatingly careful placement of hands and limbs... soaking in the moments of shared silence before sleep comes and the moment is broken. Those are the moments I always want to freeze - the stillness of quiet perfection, the feeling of connection with another human being, knowing that once daylight comes the veil will be lifted and the disconnect will return and I will again be alone with my thoughts.

Sleep is important to the body.  There are things more important than sleep - things that are important to the soul.  Like the shoulder of a man and the way it makes a perfect pillow.  Or the smell of a pillow that isn't yours.  And the way the back of ones' neck can be caressed with merely a breath.  These are the moments where souls can touch, people connect, if it is the right person at the right time.  So unfortunately often though, it is merely strangers sharing space, disconnected and alone regardless of being in one anothers' arms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment